With the Covid-19 virus making a profound impact around the world and here in the states, I want to share what Team Performance in Motion (PIM) is doing at both of our facilities in Chicago and while on the road to ensure we protect our athletes and ourselves during these uncertain times. As you know, we are learning more and more about the virus daily and are continuously following the appropriate authorities (ie – coronavirus.gov) for the latest information.
Please know that your safety continues to be our #1 priority and we will continue to adjust our policies as appropriate as more information arises. However, for the time being, here is what we plan to do to keep all involved protected:
- Cleanliness of facilities: we are making every effort to continue to provide you with a clean and safe gym environment to train and rehabilitate in. We are fully stocked with cleaning materials (disinfectant wipes, cleaning agents, hand sanitizer, etc.) and are making a concerted effort to wipe down all surfaces and materials used with each person after each visit. All traditionally shared equipment (bands, handles, weights, poles, etc) will be put aside and wiped down after each use and before being used by anyone else. In addition, both Wattage Personal Training (West Loop) and Hifi Fitness (River North) are taking appropriate measures as well.
- Personal Hygiene: our team members have reviewed and will continue to follow all recommended measures for their own personal hygiene including hand washing before and after patient care, avoiding handshakes, covering up with coughing or sneezing, avoiding touching of the face, and minimizing direct contact with patients when able.
- Sickness policy: all Team PIM members are asked to stay home if they are experiencing any illness or symptoms consistent with the flu/Covid-19 virus. No concern will be made for any lack of pay because of time lost at work due to illness during this season. In addition, if any Team PIM member is in contact with anyone diagnosed with the Covid-19 virus or acting as a caregiver for an ill family member they are required to notify our staff.
- Travel: all travel to high, Level 3 risk countries per coronavirus.gov (China, Italy, Iran, South Korea as of March 10, 2020) will be halted for the immediate future. In addition, appropriate precautions will be taken when traveling domestically to avoid areas deemed Covid-19 outbreak zones by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). This will be continuously tracked. In addition, Team PIM has postponed our future Japan Mentorship Experience Week we planned to host in Chicago in April 2020 and recently cancelled a potential education course we were teaching in Tokyo in June 2020 for precautionary purposes.
As an athlete at Performance in Motion, what you can you do for us?
- Cancel if you are sick: please use good judgment and choose to stay at home if you are not feeling well or are experiencing any of the symptoms consistent with the Covid-19 virus (fever, cough, shortness of breath). Please know that our cancellation charge will NOT apply if you are cancelling due to illness during this season. In addition, if you are a caregiver in direct contact with someone ill or experiencing any of the above symptoms, the same recommendations apply.
- Travelers returning from High Risk countries: we ask that in respect to our other patients and staff that you stay home for a period of 14 days from the time you left an area with widespread or ongoing community spread (Level 3 Travel Health Notice from per coronavirus.gov).
- Personal hygiene: Please join our team in making an effort to follow the proper personal hygiene measures listed above. Our staff will be sure to leave both hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes readily available around our facility for your personal use.
- Be informed: please keep up to date with latest news and avoid the hype regarding the Covid-19 virus at coronavirus.gov.
Please feel free to reach out to any of our team members if you have any questions or suggestions to make Performance in Motion a safe and healthy facility. Thank you being a part of our Team and we look forward to keeping you moving in the days ahead.
Robbie Ohashi PT, DPT, OCS, ATC, CSCS
Performance in Motion